Infectious Disease Doctors

When I was diagnosed with the pseudomonas infection in my bladder two years ago I had to find a doctor close to home who would help me clear it and I was told that was what a urologist was for. However after going to three in my area and they refused to help me or did a poor job and I worsened, I relied on my personal doctor to work with my doctor at UCLA to get the help I needed. Had I known there was another type of doctor that could have helped, I would have gone to one of them instead of going through all I did. It took far too long to get me back to better health after that bout and I often felt hopeless with nowhere to turn.

I didn’t know of how this type of doctor could have helped until after that time. Talking to other women, I learned this is the type of doctor they turned to when they could not get rid of a serious internal infection and it was this type of care that improved their lives. Women also told me that when they have had immune response issues with mesh, their infectious disease doctor looked into it and believed them and did what they could to search for answers.

If you Google these doctors to find out what they do, this is what you will find.
Infectious diseases specialists have extensive training in all kinds of infections, including those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. Along with this knowledge comes a particular insight into the use of antibiotics and their potential adverse effects.

I will tell you something funny. Of course I had heard of this type of doctor but I thought their practice dealt with diseases that were infectious to other people and I never thought they could help with an internal bacterial infection. I know I am not the only one who doesn’t have a clue what they really do which is why I decided to write this blog to inform other women. If you can’t find a urologist to help with your long term infection, then you may want to try going this direction. Just be aware that as with all doctors, sometimes it takes going to two or more, before you find one who will listen and help you. So don’t go to one and then give up.

So what can they do to help you? I found a great explanation and I will give you the link at the bottom of this blog.

If you run a constant temperature and know something is wrong, but all your doctor will do is a urine dipstick test, you need to have a culture test done and that will determine the type of bacteria that is causing you a serious illness. Then the doctor needs to understand types of antibiotics that will keep the infection at bay. Most general practitioners rely on instructions from drug manufacturers and they don’t get down to the grass roots of how to deal with your infection especially when it is a serious one.

Infectious Disease

An infectious disease (ID) specialist is a doctor of internal medicine (or, in some cases, pediatrics) who is qualified as an expert in the diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases. After seven or more years of medical school and postgraduate training, ID specialists complete two to three years of additional training in infectious diseases.

ID specialists have expertise in infections of the sinuses, heart, brain, lungs, urinary tract, bowel, bones and pelvic organs. Their extensive training focuses on all kinds of infections, including those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites. Many ID physicians specialize in treating patients with infections due to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the cause of AIDS.

Along with their specialized knowledge comes a particular insight into the use of antibiotics and their potential adverse effects. ID specialists also have additional training in immunology (how the body fights infection), epidemiology (how infections spread) and infection control.

The serious part of mesh infections is when mesh has been in the body for a long time and has caused an internal abscess. Many women say their stomachs blow up and they look seven months pregnant. They need to get it all removed but there is a waiting period when you go out to UCLA, so the next best thing is to find a doctor who will work hard to keep those infections at bay until you get it removed and you will be in less pain. A good removal specialist will remove every bit of it, not just a piece out of the center. Leaving mesh in in this situation, you will continue to go through infection after infection and a lot of pain.

Here is more from that article.

What an infectious disease specialist does

The role of an infectious disease specialist is to review a patient’s medical data, including records, X-rays and laboratory reports. They may perform a physical examination, depending on the type of problem. They also counsel healthy people who plan to travel to countries where there is an increased risk of infection.

Laboratory studies are often necessary and may include blood studies and cultures of wounds or body fluids. They may order blood serum studies for antibodies indicating the presence of unusual or uncommon diseases. These studies may help explain the results of studies that a general internist may already have done.

Work in the infectious disease specialty is limited to diagnosis and medical treatment. Infectious diseases specialists do not perform surgery.

So don’t give up or settle for a bad or poor diagnosis. Life is worth living but only you can work on getting the help you need because only you understand your symptoms. Here is more to let you know when and why you need this kind of doctor.

When you need an infectious disease specialist

Not everyone who has an infectious disease needs an infectious disease specialist. Your general internist can take care of most infections, but sometimes specialized expertise is needed to either diagnose or manage specific infectious diseases.

So when you find yourself living with constant infections, you DO have an option. I also read on the article that they will work with your doctor to get you the help you need. This is especially important when you have travelled far away from home for your removal surgery and you still have infection. Read this paragraph.

How infectious disease specialists work with other physicians

Although infectious diseases specialists sometimes serve as primary care physicians, in most cases you will still need your regular doctor. Usually you will be asked to return to the ID specialist for a follow-up visit to review test results and to be sure that your infection has been eliminated. ID specialists may wish to follow up with you until we feel confident that the infection will not recur. You will resume care with your regular physician when your condition has stabilized or is cured.

The bad thing about constant infections is that it can cause inflammation and if left over a long period you could be in serious trouble. So I Googled and found a site with answers for questions most related to inflammation. This is a few of the most important questions related to the things we deal with due to mesh complications.

Q. What is systemic inflammation?

A. Systemic inflammation is thought to be caused by a massive release of cytokines that spreads throughout the body. if it is severe and unchecked, it can lead to organ failure and death.

Q. How does the immune system relate to inflammation?

A. Many of the cells and molecules that carry out inflammation belong to the immune system, which consists of a brigade of specialized cells, tissues, and natural chemical substances that continually protect the body from harm.
Read more here

So, don’t lay around sick with no one to turn to. Google this type of doctor close to you and work on a better state of health. Now when I look back I think, if only I had known about them when I most needed to.

You can read the rest of the article here

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *