Hysterectomy & Mesh in South Africa

Women all over the World are struggling. They usually don’t know why they are sick but when things get really bad, they start searching. If they can speak English they will find others who deal with mesh injury but even then they often find themselves feeling very isolated and alone. We all know that unless you have or had mesh in your body, you cannot possibly understand how it feels to have these complications. So today I am going to try to find women who live in South Africa so that they have their own support group and may possibly be able to meet up and find what they need. Real support from those who understand it.

I have been contacted by women from all over the world who have struggled on without much hope of ever feeling good again. The Internet is marvelous and Google amazing because without it many of us would die. Odd things would be written on our death certificates as the cause, but nowhere will there be written Mesh Complications. But we will change this as we all fight from every corner of this world.

Every day there are new comments left on any blog that a woman stumbles across. So a few days ago when this one came in and I knew she needed support and help.

“I would like to email you privately as I have all the complications and symptoms of mesh, but have no proof. .I had a rectocele repair in 2007.i live in Cape Town South Africa and am suffering. I need to make an appointment with either doctor Raz. If you can assist in any way you can email me back on above address. Also my big question is how much would mesh removal surgery cost? and if any of these doctors would be able to detect the mesh in my body without me having the operative report. Thank you for all the info on mesh without you and the other ladies I would have never tied mesh to all my complications and symptoms.”

I contacted her immediately and we spoke on the phone yesterday. Once I knew what her complications were, I gave her Dr. Raz email address. It is in her colon and I know his experience will be the best help for her. She also informed me that she had had a hysterectomy but it was done vaginally. If you know anything about mesh complications you will know why this is so important. I also found where she could ask about medical records law in South Africa and gave her a blog I wrote about getting your records in this country because she is being told there are no records.

This is the link for the South African health care system. If you find yourself in her situation, then please find out what the law is on storage of medical records. This is the law in this country and you need to read it if you can’t get your records.

I also found for her that mesh is definitely being used in her country but like all of us know, doctors will deny any complications. You can see for yourself here

The other question she asked “Could the doctor find the mesh without her medical records is easy to answer. Yes they can. She will be given a translabial ultrasound and the mesh can be seen with this test, regardless of the type. I wrote about the tests when I went to UCLA for removal surgery.

If you live in South Africa

and would like to join a support group in that country and raise awareness so that other women do not wind up living in pain please leave a comment on this blog. I am the only one who will see your email address and I will put you in contact with this woman.

This will cost her huge money to fly and stay in California to have mesh removal but she has a supportive husband and family who will begin work immediately to raise the funds needed. Should any woman have to come up with this kind of money because of a product that should be removed from the market, no they shouldn’t. But it is her only hope.

Be aware that no matter where you live, your life can be changed by mesh in a devastating way. Please read this

Update.
Anyone who needs help or removal, I heard from Elmari and have her contact email. Please leave a comment here with your correct email address. Then I will contact you via email. Elmari did have her surgery and is doing well. There is hope.

Second update.  If you are searching for a lawyer in your country. a woman found one and she wants you to contact her via email.  However, before I give that to you, please learn and understand, that just because you find a lawyer you do not have a case, until your case has been filed in court.  It should be done within a year of the time you contact a lawyer, so be sure to ask for a copy of your stamped and dated complaint, after it has been filed.

Be sure you stay on top of this, or the statue of limitations can run out.  Check with the lawyer when yours will be.  Every woman is different and in the U.S you only have ten years from time of implant.

You should also be aware that not every lawyer is honest.  Women have discovered, too late, that the lawyer who told them they had a case, cut and run and left many past the statute and too late to file.  This has happened in the U.K and the lawyer left without giving any explanation.

Here is the email address you should contact.  Her name is Suzette.  Title it, “I need a lawyer” when you write so that she will know what it is about.

Contact in South Africa.
For lawyer
roodtsuzette@yahoo.com

Suzette has now set up a Facebook page for women in your country to find support and a lawyer.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/meshslingssouthafrica/

1. Kerry Harrison

Please keep me informed of any news on the mesh..
    I certainly don’t have enough money to fly to US to have the mesh removed! But I would be grateful if there is any type of homeopathic medication that I can take to ease the pain…. All this time I thought I had sciatica in my back!! I live on pain-killers.. This past weekend I started taking an antibiotic for another ailment and voila – no more back pain! So I assume the mesh is inflamed or something…

2. Yvonne

I am in South Africa Please if you have any information from other South Africans who may know of doctors in South Africa we can go to if experiencing problems.
    I am having bowel problems and my GP is not sure where I can go to have a scan to see if the mesh has eroded or moved and causing an obstruction.
    Thank you for all the information I have been able to glean from your site.

3. Lisa

Hi please urgently let me know if you know of a surgeon that remove in South Africa. My mother has been battling for years and the pain and infection is so bad and the dr dont want to operate cause it is to big risk and they dont know what to do.
    Your help would be so much appreciated.
    Best regard
    Lisa

1. Linda (Post author)

Lisa I am going to send you an email.

4. Elmbridge Pienaar

I have a mesh remoral scheduled for 15 Nov 2016. After doing some homework I realise that I must be sure the the Dr must really have experience in this field. Can anyone recommend a dr in South Africa.

1. Linda (Post author)

I do know someone in South Africa but by what she says, no one is trained to do this to ensure decent results.

1. Elmari Pienaar

Lindaba I need go get in touch with you. How do I go about

5. Elmari Pienaar

My removal opportunity is scheduled for 15 Nov 2016. Please put me in touch with other women in South Africa. Ano dr’se that have experience in removal opportunity.

I sent you an email.

6. Sarah

I had to have mesh removed after my body rejected it. Piece left behind. How do I have it removed? Agonising pain. Can you recommend a doctor in South Africa that can remove the last piece

1. Linda (Post author)

Sarah I am going to send you and the other women, an email together.

Sarah, I tried to send it, but yours came back deliverable.

7. Linda (Post author)

8. Jane Claire Sviridov

So happy to have found this site. I am a South African woman and had hernia mesh placed five years ago and have been in absolute agony ever since. I also developed on-going stomach issues that have gone from bad to worse. I have seen so many doctors about it and one Professor of Gastroenterology and none will acknowledge that it could be the mesh, most have said that it is all in my head and I need to see a psychiatrist. I developed a whole host of food allergies and there is now only about five foods that I can tolerate at all and always the constant stomach pain. The area where they placed the mesh on the right burns and stings constantly and my right leg goes dead when standing. I can’t work, sleep, eat or cope with life at all because of the pain and the crippling stomach issues. I had none of these issues before the operation and the mesh. My whole life has changed and I cannot find a surgeon who is willing to remove the mesh. I cannot get a response or any answers to my questions from the surgeon who placed it either. Now I have to consider going to America or England for a mesh removal operation. Please if anyone knows of a gastro surgeon in South Africa who can do this operation, please let me know. Jane.

1. Linda (Post author)

Jane I have sent you a personal email along with another woman in South Africa. Mesh removal can cause many complications, so be sure you go to someone who knows what they are doing. I gave you the link to a doctor here in the US who does. https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-bruce-ramshaw-x6wpd

9. Pam Beattie

Hi my name is Pam Beattie & I live in Joburg. In Oct.2010 I had the J & J gyne propelene mesh inserted for a prolapse. I had the operation done in Zimbabwe by A Zim gyne & a South African gyne (the latter man was teaching the Zim doc how to do this surgery.) Myself & another lady were the first to have this done in Harare. I left Zimbabwe shortly after the operation to live in South Africa.
    In Sept 2011.
    As time went bye I had difficulty passing a stool & pain. In 2011 I had another prolapse op & my surgeon said the mesh had been recalled because it caused pain. He said if I lived in USA I would be able to get compensation for my trouble.
    In 2016 after lots of pain & toilet problems I had another op & this time the surgeon (a colorectal specialist) managed to remove most of the mesh. He left a little inside as he could not remove it without further problems.

1. Linda (Post author)

Pam I also sent you an email to connect with others in your country. It would be good if one of you could set up a South African mesh support group on Facebook. I am truly sorry that you will not be compensated for all you ladies are going through.

10. nelie

tvt complications
    still did not hear from elmarie?who had removal

11. Audrey Borraine Nelson

Good day,my mother had this hysterectomy vaginally and a vaginal mesh inserted.She has been complaining non stop about infections and a sharp shooting pain.Can you please refer me to a DR in South Africa that can assist to remove this mesh?Kind regards

1. Linda (Post author)

Audrey I will put you in touch with other women in your country by email.

12. nelie

Hi Audrey please contact Nelie

13. Lindy Verreyne

Hi , i had a prolapse mesh repair done in June , needles to say I am in agony 24 /7 , having extreme buring hot sensation ftom my vagina upwards , been on several antibiotics but to no help , according to my urine test I dont have infections, I dread having sex as tis becomes extremely painfull , could this be from the mesh ?

1. Linda (Post author)

Lindy I am putting you in contact with another lady in your country.

1. ELaine

Can I also have the name, I am in South Africa. Do we have urologists who can remove the mesh here in SA? Any help will help.

1. Linda (Post author)

I did not realize this, but will send you an email.

14. ELaine

I had a mesh inserted for bladder incontinence about 11 years ago. Since menopause about 6 years ago) I have had pain during intercourse and have been from one doctor to another without any success. Two years ago I started having huge vaginal discharge (needing to change pads 3-4 times a day) and have been told it was because of thinning of the vaginal wall (athrophy of the vagina) and prescribed vagifem. I went back earlier this month because the discharge was very smelly and I suspected an infection. Gyn said that the mesh eroded and made a hole in my vagina. I am due for a partial removal next Friday. She said it was impossible to remove it completely because of scar tissue and proximity to bladder pipe. I am not feeling so well but don’t know what to do. I am not tempted to go to the urologist who inserted it because a year ago he did a urethral dilatation and said that all was good when evidently it was not. I am very worried.

1. Linda (Post author)

Elaine. Do you live in So Africa? I can put you in touch with others if you do and they can offer you support.

15. Ingrid Young

Hi All, I live in South Africa and would love to connect with all other South African ladies. It seems there are no “specialists” who do removal in this country, or am I wrong? I also have a nagging pain in my lower abdomen, and after seeing my GP, a Gynae AND a urologist, they have all given me a clean bill of health!! So I can only think that it must be related to the mesh! How to deal with this, is now my question. Where could one have a translabial ultrasound that would answer my question, or part thereof as I wonder what the next step would be?

16. Ingrid Young

Please would you put me in touch with others in South Africa. I’d appreciate that, thank you!

1. Linda (Post author)

Ingrid I will do so today. There seems to be more and more of you in your country and if you can, band together to raise awareness.

17. nelie

Hi linda please send me ingrid`s mail address

18. mary

Tvt slings south africa
    Any ladies who got recent slings for stress urinary incontinence inserted?

19. Yolande

Hey everyone, I have a lawyer interested in my case in South Africa any other ladies keen to join in the class action??

1. Rolande

Hi Yolande I have complications after mesh tape surgery in 2012.Doctors don’t believe me.Please send me number of lawyer you know of.I would appreciate it thanks.

Rolande please contact Suzette, roodtsuzette@yahoo.com

20. Laeticia Muller

I live in Australia and have been affected terribly by the Transvaginal tape inserted in 1999. It eroded through my cervix and was removed in 2015 after 16 years – it eroded away the neck of my vagina – caused permanent bladder and vaginal infections – and influenced by life in more ways than you can imagine or i like to discuss in an open forum. I was not able to join a class action in Australia as attorneys here does not want to take my case aboard, because the operation was done in South Africa – the doctors who has done it does not have my records any longer neither the hospital – they keep records 5 years I was told! So catch 22. I developed kidney cancer and allergies – even to painkillers including paracetamol. I have been called all sorts over the years – regardless of me trying to find out what was wrong, doctors kept on saying it is in my head. Linda, not sure what can be done – but I know in UK, USA and now Australia has hanged Johnson&Johnson by the toes …. I will never have a normal live – did not have a natural married live for the past 19 years and I can not see that that will be improving … Please add me to the list and keep me posted

1. Linda (Post author)

Laeticia. Even if you were able to find a lawyer, the statue of limitations run out in ten years and no one will take your case. I feel for you.

21. Tania

Good Evening Linda

Please provide me with details of the other South Africans with mesh problems. I went for a hernia operation on 5 March and ever since then I’ve been battling – because of the mesh. I regret going for the hernia operation. I’m being sent from pillar to post but no one can actually come up with a solution. I would love it to speak to the other South Africans to find out what was their out come and if they found some that could actually help.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter

1. Linda (Post author)

Tania I just sent your emails of both you and another new lady to a lady I have been in touch with. If you don’t hear anything, please let me know.

22. suzette

Thanks for the update Linda

23. suzette

Our facebook page
    South Africs

24. Pat Hoare

I had a mesh implant for a prolapse in 2016. I knew nothing at that time. I would like to join the group and stay up to date with news about it.

1. Linda (Post author)

Pat if you have a Facebook account, please join this group and get support. The link is there, just copy and paste.

25. Trish Rapson

Hi I am looking for a removal specilaist in South Arrica for a TVTO. Inhave joined the SouthbAfrican group but no-one seems to know any. Very desperate!
    I think I am also on your page.
    Many thanks
    Trish

1. Linda (Post author)

Trish, the only way I know anything is through the same women you are getting to know. I did know of a woman who flew here to the U.S to see about removal but I have not heard from her since she landed in Florida. I feel for all you ladies, because you are right where American women were when they began using these slings rampantly beginning in 2002. They have not slowed down, which is why there must be hundreds of thousands of women world wide, who are left to get on with an array of health issues. My suggestion is, that you band together even in distance to contact the Politian’s and try to get someone to take notice of what is going on.

26. Marlene

Morning are there any ladies in South Africa who had tvt or tvt_o from Coloplast who experience complications

27. Mari

Tvt mesh complications treated for stress urinary incontinence.
    Does anybody know of a surgeon in South Africa that can help with removal

28. Stella

My husband is in pain from hernia repair using mesh. Please help me with Dr who can remove in south africa.

1. Linda (Post author)

Stella I have tried to find someone for you, but all to no avail. Keep trying to find one.