Mesh Doctors Who Can You Trust

This is a follow up blog to the one I wrote previously titled ‘Mesh Doctors Without Ethics’.  You can read that blog to understand where this has all come from.  After receiving a second comment yesterday from a woman who expressed that she too had told her surgeon before surgery that she did not want mesh in her body and he put it into her anyway, I felt very saddened.   BOTH these women are now having complications.  First this is the second comment and the link where this lady wrote it.

“I also emailed my doctor and told her I didn’t want mesh in my body. She agreed that unless the tissues were so torn and weak she couldn’t repair it she would not use mesh. When the resident who assisted her came to see me that evening, the first question I asked was “Did you use mesh”? She said no, we just put a sling made out of poly something or the other. Well of course she just went ahead and put that sling in. And it really wasn’t even required because I had no leakage..And then when I went back to her for the pain issue she said it wasnt’ the sling and she also told me the body can’t reject the mesh. She is a liar and has no thought whatsoever for another human being.”

You can read this comment on this post. http://meshangels.com/2012/02/questions-to-ask-before-mesh-removal

So what can you do to protect yourself?  Paper wise NOTHING!  No piece of paper or documented email, regardless of how well it is worded can guarantee that mesh will not be used during surgery.  So what can you do?  First I asked a lawyer his thoughts on this subject, hoping to offer you something that could protect you.  This was his answer.

The first question that comes to mind is whether it ever constitutes malpractice for the doctor putting in mesh without permission from the patient. The answer to this question will of course vary from state to state. Some states require that a doctor seek “informed consent” from the patient. To parts to that – (1) That they “inform” the patient of the procedure, its benefits and risks, and (2) that they obtain “consent” from the patient. In some states, a failure to inform and obtain consent can be malpractice. This is a completely different inquiry from whether the treatment was the right treatment under the circumstances.
And it is a different inquiry from the questions as to whether or not the product itself was defective or whether the warnings given with the product were adequate? These product questions deal with the litigation we typically are seeing with mesh – claims brought against the manufacturer.

In other words it is all up to interpretation IF you can get a lawyer who will take a case against a doctor.  Do not hand someone money on a whim or a promise.  Do your own research.  Sadly I have come to the conclusion that suing a doctor is highly difficult and expensive and lawyers won’t take those cases.  Therefore it is wise NOT to have mesh placed in you in the first place.

Now you are wondering how you can ensure that this won’t happen?  Well unless you are at a hospital that states that they are now a mesh free hospital and the surgeons know how to put a sling into you the old fashioned way by using your own fascia (tissue which can be stomach or thigh from your own body) then you are at the mercy of a surgeon who does not have this experience and only knows how to open a packet and slap it in.  Sounds bad I know and it is!

At this time I only know one set of urologists who can remove the mesh safely and you can go back for a sling made of your own fascia if it is needed.  Dr. Raz told me your body needs 3/4 months to heal and swelling goes down before he will do this.  This man will not do anything to harm you more.

So now you know.  NO piece of paper can guarantee mesh will not be used, nor will it guarantee any chance of litigation against a doctor who does it anyway.  So everything is up to you!  I know this will make you angry and sad but someone has to tell you the truth.

If you DON’T want mesh, go to a place where they no longer use it.  That is a very hard thing to do I know.  I am sorry to be the one who has to tell you the truth but I do NOT want more women injured or unaware.

Update.  For new information click here http://meshangels.com/2014/04/mesh-will-i-get-complications-in-the-future/

1. Lisa

I would like a list of doctors that remove mesh. I live in the midwest but am willing to travel if need be.

What can you do about leaking after the mesh is removed?

As time has passed we have realized there isn’t a list, but a few doctors who can remove ALL the mesh and not injure you further. They are at UCLA. You can read about them on the following link. I will be going back out there in April 2013 to have a sling made using my own tissue. No more mesh!!!!! http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/08/so-much-hope-for-mesh-removal-surgery

2. Desiree

Hello,
    I found this site while looking for reviews of surgeons to remove mesh. I have a hernia mesh ( incisional, following a hysterectomy ). I know that is somewhat different than the other type.

I have been in excrutiating pain for 7 years -since the surgery. I also have neurological and autoimmune problems that i think are at least made worse by the mesh , if not entirely caused by it. My life has been ruined and I am severely disabled.

I looked up both Dr. Margolis in San Jose and Dr Raz in Los Angeles and they are both covered by my insurance ( although i don’t know if my insurance covers this surgery ). I live very close to San Jose, and about 6 hours from Los Angeles. I hear such good things about Dr. Raz — in your opinion , or from what you have heard — do you think it is worth the added travel to see Dr. Raz ? I know you can’t know for sure, but you seem to have so much information and must have heard so much from others. I am terrified of having yet another bad surgery and ending up the same or worse off. Dr. Margolis would be very convienent — and if you have heard he is just as good – that would be wonderful — but if Dr. Raz is worth the extra time/money – I want to have the best chance possible of getting better !

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated ! Thank you !

Desiree, By what so many women have told me, Dr Raz is the best in the world with the most surgical experience. All of us who went to him would have climbed mountains while in severe pain to get to him. I understand how you feel but only you can make this choice. We can only say here how we feel about the man who we feel saved us.

3. Eliza

Please Help

I live in Australia. Does anyone know of an experienced surgeon to remove the mesh in Australia? If not, how expensive is the surgery in USA for a non citizen.

Eliza I did write a blog on this and it runs around $30.000 U.S.

5. Arlene Simo

I live in PA. I am in pain ,weak, numbness in back and legs .It has escalated in the last 2 weeks. I had a vaginal sling adjust in the obturator
    membrane in 4/2011. What doctors are in this area for removal?

6. joyce taylor

is there any dr in tx that specialize in bladder mesh removal please help me

Joyce, I live in Texas outside Houston. I flew all the way to California so as not to have yet another partial removal and I wanted the anchors out because so many women still suffer with them in. I listened to so many women with experience who had gone to doctors here and that is why I came to this conclusion. It may be hard now but you cannot imagine how hard it can get when you go to the wrong doctor. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

7. gina

Sorry again Does Not BELIEVE IN USING ANY KIND IF MESH HE IS VERY MUCH AGAINST IT.

8. Cheryl

I had a sling,mesh put in 2009. I have gone to so many Doctors, one even told me my body was that of a 70 yr.old. I was 55 when I had surgery. I can hardly walk at times, never had bladder infections, my back fills like its seperarting from the rest of my body, in pain every day of my life, growning pains like no other, as if I am going to fall down. SO much pain!. I live in Alabama suspose to have it removed May 9th 2014 at UAB Kirklin Clinic, surgeron Holly Richter. I was told this was all she done remove these things. My questions is have you any info. on this Doctor. PLEASE Help me. I feel like im in the 4th quarter and no time left. There has to be other Doctors that can do as good as a job as Dr. Raz.

Cheryl I wish I could tell you differently but you need to know a lot about the type of mesh then ask her about anchors and if she can remove it if it is on your colon. The latter two things are so important.

2. Concerned daughter

Do Not Use Dr. Holly Richter and Dr. Myers at UAB in Birmingham, AL!!

I sure hope everything went well with your surgery and Dr. Holly Richter. She just about killed my mom this year. My mom went in for a bladder tack and she kinked her ureter during the process. For 4 days my mom screamed in pain and nothing was done except given morphine for pain because Holly Richter was adamant that it was gas pain. Holly Richter was very rude to my mom everytime she tried to explained her pain. Richter neglected my mom for 4 days saying my mom’s pain was gas pains and to get her up out of the bed. My mom said the pain was around her hip, back, and stomach. Richter stated that’s your “frenking” hip and I didn’t touch your hip. Richter and her fellow Dr. Myers NEGLECTED my mom to the point she was dehydrated and almost on her death bed. My mom had to have emergency surgery 4 days later as a result of richter mistake during the first surgery – kinked ureter. Richter and Myers knew I was furious with them. They apologized multiple times and promised me that my mom was doing great after the second surgery. As soon as mom returned to her room she went unconscious as a result of all the morphine she was given. The trauma team had had to give her the reversal meds 3 times before they brought her back. The next 7 days was spent in ICU because mom’s lungs collapsed, pneumonia, and her heart went into AFib as result of the stress her body encountered after the first surgery. Richter and Myers wouldn’t investigate my mom’s pain after screaming and telling them that her pain level was a 20 on a scale of 1-10. Mom was returned to a regular room after 7 days in ICU. Mom couldn’t walked to restroom without giving out of breath. Mom was released from UAB hospital in Birmingham without doing anything for her breathing and heart in AFib. Mom went to a cardiologist in Tuscaloosa and was immeditely put back in ICU in Tuscaloosa at DCH. Mom had to have her heart shocked into back into rhythm. During the second surgery Dr. Tracey Wilson put a stent in mom’s ureter to help it recover from richter’s mistake and we were told it would be removed in the office in about a month. Dr. Wilson didn’t tape the stent down on mom’s leg and when she tried to remove it the stent had traveled up into mom’s kidneys. Because the stent had traveled up into mom’s kidney it would require to another surgery to remove it. Mom’s health and lungs couldn’t take another surgery with being put to sleep with a tube down her throat. We decided as a family for mom to have the surgery in Tuscaloosa instead of UAB. The stent removal was successful. After receiving the notes from UAB on my mother, I read from Dr. Wilson’s diagnosis that my mom had a UTI infection. Dr. Wilson never told us that my mom had an infection. Mom kept having trouble and was taken back to a kidney doctor in Tuscaloosa and she was told she had a terrible UTI infection (pseudomonas) basically staph infection caused from catheters. Beware of Holly Richter, her fellow Dr. Myers, and Dr. Wilson at UAB hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. Also as a side note, one day during her stay in ICU, mom was fed on the soil laundry bin instead of the nurse moving the feeding table over to put her food on. I was so furious I took pictures. My mom’s bladder tack has already fallen and it hasn’t been but 2 months. I started googling richter and found that another patient was sent home with a catheter and was bleeding internally. She required several blood transfusions and 2 more surgeries. When she tried to explain to richter her pain she was cussed out in the office. Holly Richter told me over and over that I had taught her something, that when her next patient complains with pain they will get a full body ct scan. I explained to her that I wasn’t the medical doctor and that she should of listened to my mom and tried to investigate her pain to start ruling out possibilities. Instead she rudely informed my entire family that she had done thousand of bladder tacks and nothing had happened and my mom was suffering from gas pains. My mom has aged 10 years because of the neglect she received at UAB hospital. Please inform everyone you know NOT to use Richter at UAB hospital.

Concerned daughter. I normally don’t leave these types of comments here but what you say is absolutely terrible and I do not want any other women to go through this so I have made an exception. I also have a blog underway to show you were/who you can report these incidents to and have some effect. I will add it here soon.

1. Concerned Daughter

I finally took my mom to Atlanta to Dr. Miklos and Dr. Gonzalez. They found that Dr. Holly Richter had tacked my mom’s ureter to the vagina instead of the bladder during the bladder tack surgery. They performed a ureter implantation, bladder tack, and removed the bladder sling from my mom. Thank the good Lord that I found Dr. Miklos and Dr. Gonzalez they saved my mom’s life. I DO NOT Recommend Dr. Holly Richter at UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. She almost killed my mom and wasn’t concerned at all trying to fix the problem that she caused in the beginning.

1. Charity swaim

Thank you so much ! I was going to let Dr. Holly Richter take my mesh out next month! Thank you for posting this ! I probally want go back to her. She first said she would remove it . Then she said she wouldn’t put me through it and hugged me ! Next visit I am to see her inturn nurse. I guess no need to go back ! She is done with me. I need to see someone else I guess. Please let me know of another doctor if you find one ! Please need help

2. Linda (Post author)

She is in the same office and she has done many removals on women I know. See her. http://www.meshangels.com/dr-kim-ucla/

3. Tammy

Hi. Did you have the mesh removed? I actually had a TOT bladder sling out in on April 2017. Did Holly remove all your mesh and if so, what kind of mesh is it? Thanks.

9. gina

Linda could you please tell me if anyone with insurance has had to pay upfront for their surgery? I’m not sure how they bill and would like an idea. I know I have to pay my deductable and some other charges but not sure if the hospital makes you pay it up front? Please share any info you may have. I have BCBS PPO

Gina If you have insurance you do not have to pay up front. It is only if you are cash pay. You may receive a bill for any part you have to pay but I believe it will be after, not before surgery.

10. gina

Thank you so much Linda!! I really appreciate everything I have learned from your website! Its amazing how much I have learned.

Gina learning is what I have done this past four years. If we don’t keep learning we can’t help others.

11. gina

Linda starting to get scrared, I have always had pain but it feels like it turned or something again. And I’m spotting a little bit of blood. I don’t know weather to wait it out until I see Dr. Razz (June 4th) or go to Dr. Zimmern in Dallas. Then again I’ve waited more than 10years! I just don’t know if I’m giving it time to get worst and if 6 weeks or more will make a difference. Well June 4th to see him then wait 2-4 months for surgery. I have pain in my right kidney and buttocks area. I have pain in my right calf that comes and goes. I’m trying to be positive and I’m desperate to see Raz just wish it was soon! Has anyone had similar symptoms and what did it turn out to be?

Gina I cannot tell you what to do but I can tell you many women thought they couldn’t wait, including me. However when I learned about the results of partial removal, I decided I would do anything to wait and go to the right doctor. I have just been helping a woman who has had six partial removals and now is going out to see Dr. Raz. Today she had Botox injections to try to ease the pain, but she said she will wait because she has gone through far too much already. So only you can decide what you should do and how you will make it through.

2. Connietee

Did you have your surgery in June and was Dr. Raz the operating dr? How are you and was the operation successful?
      I have an apt with him in June 2015 and I am torn wondering if I am doing the right thing. I live in Alabama.

Connie I am just doing an update blog about my removal surgery which was October 2012 by Dr. Raz. The blog will go up this Sunday. He is the most amazing surgeon and man and I flew from Texas. It was the best decision I ever made other than my marriage.

12. gina

I’m feeling better today (not so scared) the symptoms are a little better today. I will wait to see Dr. Raz, I only have 6 wks left! Thank you Linda for the encouragement!

Gina I am relieved. I know how hard is to wait and you get through this one day or even one hour at a time. Ten years is a long time for mesh to be doing this to you and the worse part is going to someone else then finding out you should have waited to see Dr. Raz, because then you have to wait for at least three months after any surgery to have another, and better six months because surgery after surgery is very hard on you physically and mentally. And worse yet you have to get back in line again to see Dr. Raz. This is really tough, but somehow you will get through it. XX

13. Brenda- motherof14

Hi,I also live in Al, I am having issues with my mesh implant bladder sling, I’m on medicaid and having to follow a few required steps. (such as using certain providers, etc. have had a colonoscopy this past Monday as required to rule out diverticulous because of the pain. DONE.! as I suspected NO issues there. I have been recommended to this Dr Holley Richter and have been doing research on her. I have an appointment to see the Dr Myers that was mentioned by the “CONCERNED DAUGHTER” also on June 12th. However, I am planning on going to the UAB ER this weekend to be sooner. PLEASE HELP! If anyone has any other good recommendations. (I’m not ruling out Dr Raz-) however, I also don’t know if he accepts medicaid?

Brenda I wish I could help but do not know of this doctor. Dr. Raz does except full Medicaid and I know many women who went out there and that is what they had due to disability. Call and ask his office.