So Much HOPE for Mesh Removal Surgery

Yesterday morning as I listened to the young woman who’s bladder has been killed because of bladder sling surgery, I felt the weight of the world upon my shoulders.  I could not help her other than to listen to her and hear her shaking voice filled with tears.  It hurts me to my core which is why I wrote yesterday’s blog.

Today is a new day.  Today I have hope for some of the women who live in pain.  I wish it was also for this young woman to give her the same hope.  Unfortunately, hope is only for those who have good insurance and the money to travel out to UCLA, or Medicare such as I have now and can sell something to get the money for the travel expenses.  Now I hope that those who are fortunate to go to UCLA will spread the word about what is happening to women and perhaps my dream of hope for all women will be fulfilled.  I can only HOPE.

The hope came from a great doctor who will be doing my removal surgery October 11th.  His name is Dr. Raz at UCLA.

Shlomo Raz, M.D.
Professor of Urology
Chief Division of Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
Director Fellowship Program
Department of Urology   UCLA School of Medicine
200 UCLA Medical Plaza, Suite 140
Los Angeles, California   90095
Phone 310-794-0208  /  Fax 310-794-0211

Unfortunately I have done such a great job of spreading the word about him that the wait to see him, and then have removal surgery, is now as much as six months.  Some women are struggling to get through another day and I feel awful to give them this news. Recently I found out from another women whose mesh removal was imperative about another Urologist at UCLA, because her infection was untreatable by antibiotics.  She could not wait or she risked dying of infection.   So this is the doctor who did her removal a week ago.

Now I have even more hope when I received an email reply this morning from Dr Raz.  Yet another woman physician who can help women like us.  Not only that but I researching her and came up with this amazing video about the work that is being done at UCLA.

There are more stories of hope if you check them out on this link:

This is that physicians name and information
Dr. Ja-hong Kim
UCLA Medical Center
10833 Le Conte Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90095
I believe the phone number will be the same.

Dr. Larissa V. Rodríguez
 This doctor was at UCLA but has now moved to another location in Southern California but I don’t have her details.  She can do no mesh repairs.

Today I am filled with hope and joy
Another doctor found
Every day I learn so much
My learning is profound

What would we do without such hope
We’d sit around and cry
Many do, it rips my heart
That some will surely die

But I must just stay positive
It’s how I daily cope
All I ask for all of us
That we will all feel HOPE

I truly give thanks to the hope I feel now.  Now I can give doing this worthy and unpaid job to give as many women the hope they need.  I feel for you all.

Update.  For new information click here http://meshangels.com/2014/04/mesh-will-i-get-complications-in-the-future/

1. Dawn brown

Very inspirational 🙂 And HOPEFUL
    …. Thank you… Love the poem ..so excited to have my dates.. Best of luck and prayers to all

2. DIANNE FROM FLORIDA

Thank you for the information and inspirations you have given us over the year from your blog. I know you and the other ladies have surely helped me.

3. DIANNE IN FLORIDA

MY GUARDIAN ANGEL, LINDA, YOU HAVE BLESSED MY LIFE WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND INFORMATION WITH BLADDER SLING MESH REMOVAL WITH THE WONDERFUL DR. RAZ. KEEP THE FAITH MY MESHIE SISTERS.

4. Melissa

I have what my obgyn thought was coccydynia. I thought so too but now believe it is related to my bladder tac surgery in 2006. It is hard to sit straight up and it feels like I am sitting on a pine cone. My new OBGYN found blood in my urine several times and I am returning to do a catheter test. It is painful for me to sit so a flight to CA will be very difficult from NC. I also have a toe that is numb, problems sleeping because of the pine cone feeling of pain. I am also pathologically terrified of flying so this is God,s way of getting me over that to fly to the opposite end of the US. I have experienced pelvic pressure and extreme gas as well. They thought that was IBS but I am convinced this mesh is a large problem for me. I am praying for all of us in this frightening thing. Thank you for this blog. It has made me cry but it has also given me strength to push forward to help myself and others when As I can.

You would not be the first to have this complication. If you read what happened to a woman after having mesh in her for twelve years, after it was removed, you may find you have much in common. She said it was amazing to sit in a restaurant once again. Sitting had been impossible for so many years and her husband drove her to UCLA to have it removed. http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/11/update-on-twelve-years-of-mesh-hell

2. Peggy McAllister

Have you looked into Drs. Miklos and Moore in Atlanta GA?

5. Angela Sackett

Linda…thank you so much for this information. I contacted you about this early this summer and am scheduled to have surgery in January. I might not have ever found Dr Raz if it were not for you. The doctors in my area…even super specialists at the University of Utah were telling me to get used to the pain because they could not help me any further. I don’t know what Dr Raz will be able to remove as the ultrasound showed “mesh everywhere” and he fears it is in areas he can not remove it from. However, he is willing to try and I so appreciate his honesty and willingness to try to improve my life. He truly is a man who only wants to do good for people. He doesn’t have to do this kind of work and heaven knows it is messy and complicated and sometimes unrewarding…but he does it any ways. So thank you Linda…without you I would believing with no hope at all. Thank you for helping me find hope again. God bless you my friend!

Angela you are the reason I keep doing this day after day. You do NOT have to settle for nonstop pain without hope. I have sent him some of the worse cases imaginable and he has made women better. Not perfect, but well enough that they can live some kind of decent life again. Remember, all I did is write. YOU did the hard work. You made the appointment and as hard as it was, you went there. Now the rest is up to Dr. Raz. Hang it. Nothing is guaranteed, but he will do his UTMOST best for you.

1. Stephanie

Linda can you please send me an email really important please I have almost died 4 times in the last few months due to what I believe is this transvaginal sling. Thank You, Steph

6. Eden

I am inspired to read your story. I have hernia mesh, but it seems to have migrated to my bladder as I’m having bladders in and symptoms in addition to other pain. My initial surgery was earlier this year. I don’t think Dr. Raz deals with hernia mesh, but I’m wondering if he can recommend someone who does. I am I’m agony and it is hard to know where to turn. I will be phoning his office to ask. I wish you the very best.

UCLA does repair and remove hernia mesh and there are doctors who do this. I will drop you a line.

1. Shannon Rubin

I would love information as well. I have had two hernia repairs on the same spot. The mesh had balled up and I’m afraid it has done it again. I am in IL.

Shannon I can only tell you at the top of this blog is a link for hernia doctor when you click on the doctor link. I would write or talk to each of them and find out who can remove your hernia mesh safely.

7. Debi

I had my surgery done in Jan. 2008, and now realize that I am maybe one of the unlucky ones. I have UTIs, and weird pains, and back pains but didn’t even make the coronation to the mesh until I saw the ads on tv about the lawsuits against the companies that make the “faulty” ones. Of course I get online and start searching for answers. That is how I found your blog and I am so glad I did. Now I will be informed as a move forward in my quest to feel better. I was wondering if all of these mesh products will cause troublers eventually, and if they will erode or attach to things they shouldn’t. I am having horrible back pain, just on the left side, shooting down my hip and leg. It feels like something pulling on my insides. I am very worried about my future. I am a single mom, self employed artist, just starting my business. Thankfully I have insurance but my deductible is 5000. I feel like I am not able to be the mom I need to be for my daughter. It feels like I always have back troubles or other health issues that interfere with my ability to do all I want to do with her. I feel very sad for all the women I have read about and will pray for answers and help for all of them. I have my faith to help me through, but I know many women are without hope, depressed and ready to give up. Your site has given me hope and I hope other women will find this also. Is it ok if I post your blog on face book and Pinterest? We need to get the word out so these mesh implants aren’t even allowed to be used. We have rights! My obgyn dr. Was so insensitive she made comments about me not needing to worry about not being able to have sex anyway, because I wasn’t married. How mean and uncaring is that! The man I was dating was very upset when I told him that I could have pain or maybe not even be able to have sex and I think this was one of his reasons for breaking of our relationship. Now I feel like there is no man that would want to be with me. I hope I can figure out what to do. Also, I was wondering if you could share your experience with your removal at UCLA. I am considering removal if it is going to cause more and more problems, and hope it is not to late. Thanks for all you do and for truly caring, Linda! You are our angel! Hopefully we can help you get the word out! Thanks again and may God bless you!

Yes, please do. I have written a blog on every aspect of my journey. This one is about my consult appointment and costs of going out there http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/06/mesh-dr-raz-u-c-l-a This one is about the tests before surgery http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/10/ucla-tests-before-mesh-removal-surgery/ This one is about my surgery http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/10/ucla-my-bladder-sling-removal-surgery This one is about travellind home http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/10/mesh-removal-ucla-travelling-home This one is about more travel tips http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/06/mesh-dr-raz-u-c-l-a I hope this will help you. As many of us have found out, doctors can be very uncaring and treat us badly. It was such a different experience for me when I went out to UCLA and I hope it will be for you too.

8. Debi

Hi Linda, Thanks for your quick response! I was up until 1:00 am reading your blog and did find your mesh removal story. I am so very happy you got the beast removed and are doing better. The more I read, the sicker I felt for the wrongs that have been done to you,me and all of these women and how wonderful it is to have found your blog and the information and to find out about a Dr. that cares. I am just recovering from a horrible bout with a UTI right before Christmas, that lead to me getting an antibiotic because I couldn’t risk missing out on seeing my kids that traveled so far to see me. The day after Christmas I got extremely ill. I was having sharp stomach pains and vomiting and then terrible diarrhea. I was on very strong antibiotics, with a list of side effects 3 pages long. I was still taking them when I got sick. I am now wondering if I have an internal infection. I am doing a little better this morning but my lower back on the left is still killing me. I don’t think it is my kidneys because I would think they both would be hurting. I am going to start taking probiotics and marshmallow today. I don’t want to go back to the Dr. that could prescribe such horrible medicine. I missed out on my only time with my only grandson and my daughter and son-in-law, and my son and his girlfriend because of all of this. I guess it could have been the flu, but I am wondering? I still need to read your information on insurance. I have no idea how to get approval for the removal, if my OB/Gyn dr. won’t even admit there is anything wrong with using the mesh. I guess my first step is getting my hospital records and finding out how many and what kind of sling I have. It has been many years and I don’t really remember. I do remember signing something saying I couldn’t hold the dr. responsible for anything that happened as a result of the surgery. That those were just the risks of such a surgery. I trusted my dr. But I guess I shouldn’t have. I will keep you informed of my journey. Thanks again Linda!

The wise thing at this point is to have a blood test done which will show infection due to the blood cell count. These infections will not show up in a UTI dip stick test. If you are vomiting, this is a big sign. Get a patient advocate to fight for you to go to the doctor of your choice. Every State has them and you can google them. Some charge while others are free. Or you can raise hell like this lady did. She is one who helps me. If you want to talk to her let me know. http://meshmedicaldevicenewsdesk.com/patient-profiles/suffering-in-silence-no-more-lisa-pashenee-takes-her-mesh-protest-public My story is also in the patient profiles.

10. Paula

Hi,

I don’t understand how to get or find a patient advocate. Can you elaborate on that? The group of doctors I chose to see when I suspected the mesh implant was my problem had a scheduling glitch on the day they told me to come for an initial visit. They let me see a nurse practitioner who looked at me like I was an alien and actually was angry that I was concerned about the mesh sling I had implanted. I told her I felt the symptoms I was having were probably from the mesh. She made a point to tell me I was in menopause and that nobody did anything wrong to me. I don’t want to go back to the gyno who put the sling in in 2009. I have been going to him for years following. I told him many times I had a yeast infection I couldn’t get rid of. His answer to that was to let him know when I had another. I had one then! He didn’t test, give me a prescription…nothing! I have had a yeast infection for years now! He too said I am in menopause so the cramping I feel has to be caused by menopause.

The nurse practitioner I have seen as of late called to tell me that they want to do a biopsy to rule out cancer. She said the endrometrial part of the uterus was thickened. UGH! I really need someone who understands what I am going through and is sympathetic. I will surely have to have the sling removed and will probably need a referral since I live in Kentucky and will have to go to CA to be treated by Dr. Raz. I don’t have the money to do this but I have visited some of the websites you recommend for aid.

Thank you for what you do!

Paula LeCompte

All I did was put into Google patient advocate texas and this popped up. http://www.houstonpatientadvocacy.com/?gclid=CP_ApfihzLQCFXCmPAodSVQARA When I looked, this is what was said on the front page.
      Feel lost in the medical system while battling a serious illness?

Feel like your medical team doesn’t have enough time to talk to you, but orders more tests instead?

Feel like you aren’t getting the best health care, but have no power to do anything about it?

Have questions about your medical condition or health care, but not enough answers, or not sure how to ask?

Feel like you need more emotional support from your medical team?

Wish you had a patient advocate with medical expertise and time to help you out?

11. Angela Sackett

Hi Linda and ladies!
    I just had surgery with Dr Raz on Thursday. He is a god-send for those of us who are afflicted with these conditions imposed on us by doctors who still think mesh is safe. Yes it is a sacrifice to get to him in California…yes it enduring hard surgeries to get it out…yes all those things are complications but what are the other options? Sacrificing the rest of your life because you can’t or won’t find the resources to get there…leaving the mesh to continually infect your body and erode into vital organs? There is no life for most of us with mesh left in…most of us can not live our lives to the fullest being drug down with the effects of mesh in your body. Do whatever you must do to get to UCLA! No ifs ands or buts…its that simple…! For some of us there is a serious question that must be answered though…who are we without the mesh? Our lives are designed around having mesh in us…our lives are full of illness and limitations…so what are we when those things are gone? Are we brave enough to find out? I think that if we are brave enough to live with mesh…sometimes for many years…then we are brave enough to find out what we can become without mesh. I’m blessed to be starting my new year with the opportunity to find out what life can become for me without mesh tying me down…literally…! All I can do now is encourage, beg, and plead with all of you to take those steps so you can get your life back too.

1. Rebecca Branson

I need help with the financial part. Any ideas would be helpful.
      Thanks,
      Rebecca

Angela , your comment is heart warming and very true. We do live with this for so long and then you have to discover how to live your life without mesh. It is wonderful to not have to have the mental anguish that mesh causes us while it is in us. From then on it is a slow return to life and the promise of a new beginning, mesh free. I know another lady who had hers removed by Dr. Raz the same day as you. I had computer issues so I could not connect the two of you together. She is the lady who helps me by organizing this blog. I hope both of you will do well and will find your new lives.

13. Angela Sackett

Linda,
    Thank you for your willingness to provide this blogsite and the information in it. It takes a brave person to do what you are doing and listen to these stories day in and day out. You are part of the reason I was able to find Dr Raz and his services. I want you to know how important your work is that you are doing. You are getting important information to the masses about the lies we have been told. I will eternally be grateful to you for your work and bravery. May God bless you abundantly for your efforts!

14. Margaret Morrill

Linda, thank you so much for this information. I had the bladder sling procedure done about 18 yrs ago and consider myself a fairly active person. The past few years I find myself without the energy I used to have and am tired all the time. I have had blood in the urine and stools sporadically and pains in my legs and stomach thinking it was just overdoing things that I push myself to do. I love to walk but for several years now after I walk a half mile or so or walking when I shop, I bloat up and my stomach is so sore. I didn’t think that it was a normal thing to happen as my friends didn’t feel it was normal either. Now I wonder if my health problems are caused from the mesh that I have in my body. I still have incontinence, wear a pad all of the time and take medication like Detrol that really doesn’t do any good any more. I feel now that I am going to have to contact someone to have this problem taken care of. I am 67 yrs old and want to be here to see my grandchildren grow up and give me great grandchildren. Dr. Oz sounds like the one to contact. Will stay in touch and let you know what happens. THANK YOU so much!

You are welcome. You have all the symptoms that so many women have and the hardest part is getting someone to listen to you. I hope you will find the help you need at UCLA and scream at the world what has happened to you. I sometimes wonder how many women have died from these complications and yet that fact is never mentioned on their death certificates. That is why I keep writing.

15. nadine

This is inspiring and so hopeful for most but sadly I must admit I no longer hold hope for anything to high. I know when i do this when i feel better even one day the next few weeks get worse and worse as I go along this road God has set before me and this includes going to court over my son. The only reason my hope is so small because in the last year it has been smashed so much by mesh I dare not raise it of the floor because I can not stand any more heart break. I needed these numbers and emails and maybe someone will do the ultra sound for me here under the instructions i allready have from him. Thank you to all of you who are our beacons in the night which has become our lives!!!!!

16. Chandi

As I sit and read the stories, I am filled with sadness and with hope, I went to my urologist that put in my sling yesterday, I was out of pain pills and can’t seem to live without them at this point, he told me, I was just going to have to learn to live with the pain… That is not an option.. I don’t even know what type of mesh sling was used in my procedure.. Should I get my records?
    Thank you so much for your blog, so much information here!

Chandi yes get them but only the hospital will have them. You need them to have mesh removal. You don’t need every piece of your records because they charge you page by page. Read this and that will help you decide what you need. If you can go there in person you can look at the Operating report and see what is on it. Buy only that report if the make and number is there. http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2011/01/report-to-the-fda

2. Angels123

Chandi…get used to doctors telling you exactly what your Urologist told you. I had countless of well meaning doctors as well as the idiots who put not one but two mesh kits in me who told me exactly what you are being told. Its kind of like they have all gone to a seminar on what to tell the patient when it all goes wrong because the answers they give are always the same. Don’t bother even dealing with that urologist again who told you that. You will get nowhere with him. My advice if you are in the kind of pain you sound like you are in is to find a specialist who deals in pain management. They can help you to manage your pain until you can get through the process with Dr. Raz and afterwards if you need them. A pain management specialist can make sure you are only taking what you need to control your pain and because it is what they do they are much better at finding combinations of meds if necessary to get better control. They also have other ways of helping to control pain that isn’t necessarily medication. A good pain doc is worth a ton in this process and getting through it with the best control of your pain possible. While you are doing that, call and get an apt with Dr. Raz so you can get on his books. The more his name gets out through blogs like this one the harder it will be to get into him.

17. Chandi

Last night a new pain started,down the right side,in my hip kind of and down my right leg,I have no idea what started it but its constant..and it goes down to my ankle ,is it me? Or still from the sling ?

It’s the sling Chandi. You don’t have to start out with leg pain, but for many women it begins later. Then it increases and becomes crippling. That is what happened to me. I would up using a walking stick all the time and a walker when it got so bad. The damage dones to our nerves and muscles can be serious over the long haul. I had to wait for Medicare to get it out, 2 years, 7 months. Start working on gettting out soon. It doesn’t stop with leg pain. Hip and back pain are also very common. The pain ‘moves’ constantly
    which I think is because the nerves are sending different signals.

1. kristine

I am suffering with mesh problems as well. No joke this mesh damage. I have been in and out of the hospital with fever pelvic and butt pain. It started in my hips and went to my leg and now I have nerve damage , diagnosed by a neurologist. I see a pain management doctor each month to manage pain but honestly its not working. I recently this past Monday July 27 2014 went to the hospital with trouble breathing and bad pelvic pain. You know what they told me I was having an allergic reaction to something. They treated me for the allergic reaction with epinephrine , benadryl and steroids. I knew it wasn’t that. So two days later when I started having trouble breathing and bad buttocks pain that felt like blisters were busting open , I went back to the ER and was hospitalized with a septic infection. My Gyn treated me with Rochephen I’v antibiotics and flagyl, around the Clock for four days. Plus 3 pain medications. That did not help the pain its horrific. I came home was released when they thought things were better but when I stand up its like my insides are trying to fall out of my butt. I’m going to my primary doctor tomorrow and I’m demanding to see a surgeon. I’ve been waiting since march for pelvic floor therapy so that Dr. Hadley from Loma Linda University Can remove the mesh in me. That is a requirement by my insurance. I’m afraid for my life. Keep fighting because I’m gonna fight until I die.

Kristine I will keep fighting so that all women everywhere in the world knows that mesh complications can kill them. I hope this doctor can remove it and your life will be saved. What they are doing to you is so common as they refuse to admit it is the mesh causing all your problems. I hope you can stay strong enough to get it out and begin living again.

19. Kathy

Linda,
    Do you think Dr. Raz would ever consider training other doctors around the country? I am hearing how long the wait list is for surgery. How can this group possibly operate on all of us?
    I have had my sling since 2007. I am in the process of trying to get to UCLA and am so afraid when I hear of all the visits and wondering if I can find enough to finance this entire process.
    My insurance asked for some info from Dr. Rodriguez before approval and Dr. Rodriguez assistant said they do nothing with insurance until we come for a appt.
    I am so confused, not sure what to do.

Kathy. Doctors go out to UCLA and take internships. However it does not make them great surgeons nor does it make them good at removing mesh. The two women who are there, were trained by him and they are very good or they would not hold permanent positions. You have to call out there and get a patient ID number, then 24 hours later call back to set an appointment. Any insurance has to pay for it because no one else can do it. You can get a patient advocate through the insurance and tell them you are trying to save the insurance money by not having surgery after surgery and other serious injuries because of it. Many women have done this and it works. Stop worrying and get the appointment. They must approve it. The reason why you go for consult is so that the doctor knows how to handle your case and then they approve the surgery.

21. George

Hi I am a 32 yr male, I had a bilateral inguienal surgery with mesh , I am in pain for most if the day, the only way to make the pain go away is to lay down, I was wondering if you guys can recommend a surgeon to remove the mesh, I had surgery done 1-08-2013 and have been in pain ever since. I stay in Los Angeles, I am starting to get depressed and if any one having same problem want to email or talk 310 630-9964 you can text or call my email is raidernation07es@yahoo.com

George I do know they do remove hernia mesh at UCLA but not which doctors are good. So I am going to send you Dr. Raz email and you can ask him to give you the name of a good surgeon.

22. Christine

Here on the east coast I am going to ……………… Kentucky. There are doctors there that are specializing in mesh removal and reconstructive pelvic surgery. I have a lot of faith in them and think they will do ok by me. I found you online and can’t travel to CA. Maybe this will help someone on the east coast.

Christine. You should know that over the course of three years I have heard from thousands of women in every State who have kept me informed of which doctor they went to and their progress after. Many are in your State. Unless I know for sure by doing an interview with a doctor who will answer every question in writing, I cannot leave a name here. That is because so many women did not get well and in fact wound up at UCLA later. If you know your doctor will do an interview with me such as the one Dr. Twist did, then he/she should get in touch with me. It takes an honest and brave soul to do this but it then proves they truly are about the truth and getting all the mesh out in a way that will not injure women more. Believe it or not, you are the only one who has left these doctors names, but what is troubling is that you have not gone through the surgery and at least six months of healing before you know that these doctors can do a good job. Read Dr. Twist’s interview. http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2013/02/mesh-is-a-journey

2. William Shackelford

I live in Kentucky and I’m trying to find a dr who will remove hernia mesh! I Have insurance! Can anyone tell me of a Dr in Kentucky please!

William. Most hernia doctors do not know how to repair without using mesh as it is another lost art. Look at the top of this blog at the doctors link and you will find the ones others have told me about. They are few and far between and you may need to travel.

23. Lee Tee

Ft. Lauderdale Fl, I have Tricare. I am trying to get an approval to go to Dr. Raz, Though UCLA takes Tricare, I am unable to get a referral because Dr. Raz’s name does not show up in the Tricare network. There is a Dr. Arie Belldegrun, and Dr. Robert Smith at UCLA in network. Can someone tell me if they know a loop hole or way around the red tape so I can see Dr. Raz? I consider my self lucky as I have read the blogs of women who are so far advanced in their complications and my heart goes out to you all. I pray more doctors step forward and help us remove ALL the mesh possible. I have a Dr here only wants to remove the arms! It is blogs like these that give us information to arm ourselves with and protect our selves. He (Dr.) even says he still implants these meshes because they are not the ones law suits are about. I did my own research. Yes Monarc causes all types of complications and I can attest to my own constant pain it causes me. Keep speaking out so these things can be banished. Thanks to all of you who do. Report it to FDA please
    .http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Safety/MedWatch/HowToReport/DownloadForms/UCM082725.pdf

Many women have had the same problem but you have to build a case to show that no other doctor can remove it the way he can and you will save them money by going to him first instead of having multiple surgeries causing you further injury. Women have done this and they have got their way. Also one woman Lisa Pashenee who helps me help women did this when she was refused. http://meshmedicaldevicenewsdesk.com/patient-profiles/suffering-in-silence-no-more-lisa-pashenee-takes-her-mesh-protest-public Insurance companies do not like public displays. She got her way, had it removed and is doing great.
      I do not know these doctors at all and any woman who is going to have removal must present them with the questions on this blog, look them in the eye when they answer. Look to the left and you will see the link. It isn’t just about IF they can remove the arms/anchors, but how long a surgery has taken them in hours. For instance I know a woman who thought her doctor could remove it all in one go but he took 2 times, 7 and 5 hour surgeries. This is another factor you need to understand because that is a huge amount of anesthesia especially if you have been ill for awhile because of this. You are a smart women who is doing your own homework and I have no doubt you will make it happen. Thank you for reminding women to report it to the FDA because women are often sick and they don’t. The real numbers are not out about mesh complications and we can’t change what is happening unless you do. Get the name and number of any implant and if you can’t fill out the on-line form, call them. they will send you a confirmation letter within a month. Makes sure you get it and write down the person who you speak to when you call them. First and last name. If you have more than one, report each one at a time. That is the only way we can change things for women in the future. They cannot say it isn’t true if you’ve done this and no one but you will be doing it. Not a doctor nor a lawyer. I wish you a great deal of luck, however, I think you are going to do it without it because you are so determined.

24. Lee Tee

lavalinda, thanks for responding. Thank you for your help and kind words. My Dr. said its less than an hour surgery in/out and home. I am NOT using him def. I know these surgeries take longer. He thinks he is going to snip and be done but with all the knowledge I have from the blogs and smart people like you, I know better. :))))

1. Angels123

Good for you! Sounds like his only intention is to go in find a piece he can snip off easily and leave the rest….had that done. As long as he excises something he can call it an excision. Doesn’t mean it’s a full excision…! So glad you are smarter than that! Save the money and go to UCLA… It will save u a mountain of money and time and suffering to just get it done right the first time!

25. BatyaSarah

Linda
    I reread your email and am thinking about you and praying you are ok??
    Please let us know how you are doing. Sending healing prayers and best wishes!!
    Hugs
    BS

26. DebCNY

Hello, I heard from Linda briefly. She is ok, and will be heading home from her latest surgery too. The surgery was a little more complicated than hoped, but it sounds like she is doing well. I’m sure she will update us more once she’s settled and feeling up to it.

27. Rebecca Branson

I need info in getting financial help to go see Dr. Raz. I am currently on Medicaid and he does not take that. Any suggestions or websites would be of great help.
    Thank you so much for your blog.
    God Bless,
    Rebecca

Rebecca I hav e been trying to find a way to help women like you but so far all I have found is closed doors. I will keep trying.

28. Brenda Boling

I’m glad I found your blog page. I had a sling put in either during 1996 which I think it was but my husband says 1997 or 98. Either way I just found out several weeks ago that it is a mesh sling. You will not believe the number of drs. I have been to and none of them could find out the cause of my constant problem of my bowels coming out all over me daily or the leakage from my bladder. I wear 2 very large pads at the same time and still have to change clothes several times a day no matter how many times I go to the bathroom. It has been so long with the pain and the problems i am experiencing that I get up in the morning and pray that God will take me now. I am 66 yrs old. I have always lived a very active life and had my own business for 22 yrs. and did alot of traveling. Now I live like a hermit because I am afraid to leave the closeness of the bathroom. I cannot feel when either of these are going to happen and I have been embarrassed so many times. I have joined the class action lawsuit but because my surgery was so long ago no one has my records and the Dr. has been retired for a number of years. I called a GYN and she told me that the Dr. could tell from examination what kind of sling I have. The one I went to that told me I have a mesh sling was very nice but very defensive about why they started to use the mesh. They thought it would be better. He wouldn’t tell me until I asked if I have a mesh sling but he said it was too far up for him to tell me what kind or brand. I have been in so many hospitals over the years with GI bleeds that were horrible I can’t even remember all of them. When we lived in FL. I had a really really bad bleed and the GYN I was seeing just kept giving me more blood because he could not find where it was coming from. I finally got him to agree to transfer me to Mayo and they found it in no time at all. In the meantime he had given over 100 pts of blood and some was tainted so I now have herpes which I have to take meds for the rest of my life. Thank God it’s not genetal. It also changed my blood type which I didn’t know could be done and I have a K factor in my blood. I don’t quite understand this but the DR. told me to keep the card in my wallet at all times. I’m afraid I will get left out of suit because I can’t find out what kind I have and my husband and I are both retired and can not pay for the expensive surgery. I have medicare and a private supplement but always something left to pay out of pocket. Can the Dr really give me the manufacturer of the sling with examination and the ultra sound. I have exhausted all channels for finding any records of the surgery and I do not know what to do. I even found the DRs. home phone number that did the surgery but he was on a trip and his wife said he kept no records. Besides the usual channels you go through, I have tried the archives but to no avail. My surgery was done in Austin, TX but we now live in SC. I will travel anywhere to get help because I have absolutely NO LIFE at this point and some days the pain is so much that all I can do is stay in bed because it is so exausting. I told my husband I wouldn’t blame him if he divorced me because it affects his life too. He thinks I’m really nuts when I say this and very supportive. Thank you so much for listening and if you or anyone have any ideas about finding out the brand of bladder sling I have or serial number. I am all ears.

Respectfully, Brenda Boling

Hi Brenda. I wrote a blog about records and they have them somewhere because it is against the law to destroy them. Many women got theirs from years ago. Read this. http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2013/03/medical-records-law The doctors who put it in do not keep that information only hospital o clinic where they put it in. I too have Medicare and if you but AARP supplement, it may not cost you anything. I pay $150 a month. Every symptom you have CAN be fix by Dr. Raz. Many women are like you. Mesh has eroded into the colon.

29. Brenda Boling

Excuse the typo. I left the H outed of exhausted.

30. craig

Hi,
    I had hernia surgery in June of 2012, and due to a prior hernia surgery the Surgeon said that they had to put mesh all the way across my lower abdomen where the hernias were. now I have had bleeding in my bladder and I went to a urologist who said that the mesh had “eroded” into the bladder and there were some mesh fibers sticking through the bladder wall. These fibers were collecting minerals from the urine much like a string in sugar water does and were forming “stones” over time. He wants to go in and cut the fibers back to under the bladder wall and let it heal over. He also says that he cant guarantee this will work or not. I need a second opinion fast about whether or not this is worth the money to do this, and what I can expect down the road if I leave this mesh in. Can you please provide any insight into this?

31. Susan Thomas

Hello,
    I had Prolift mesh put in(anterior and posterior) in 2005, this past April I had the fourth surgery to remove the mesh. The surgeon won’t say if she got all the mesh out.. I am very doubtful.
    I am having pain that is only helped by laying flat. I am now looking for a pain management specialist here in West Michigan….not too sure anyone here really knows how to treat chronic pain after mesh removals. I still have the “arms” in me, and I think maybe they have adhered to something, which is causing the pain? My surgeon refuses to prescribe me any pain meds….in fact I can’t even talk with her on the phone…she is too busy. All I get is talking with her PA’s. She didn’t even see me for a post op exam! She works for a local very large hospital. Her PA did prescribe B and O suppositories, but only 12 of them.
    I would like to go to UCLA and get a second opinion about this pain….and/or try University of Michigan..getting so tired of fighting this battle.

Susan I feel deeply for you. It may take awhile to get in to see one of the specialists at UCLA but it will give you peace of mind. Most of the women I know are shocked to find out that the surgeon only removed a very small part of the mesh and think that is good enough. What you are experiencing with your surgeon is what many of us have and it is disgusting. Refusing to see you for a post op is her way of denying you have any problems. She just doesn’t want to know. The truth is, she does not have the expertise to fix what has been done by the sling, but I bet she still puts them in. I hope you will make an appointment at UCLA and work towards getting the help you need and the truth about what has been done to you.

32. Donna Boling

I am so glad that I found your blog!!! I had a hysterectomy along with my mesh sling in November of 2011. Just shortly before my surgery I lost my 18-year-old daughter in a car accident and became very depressed but through getting help and medication I was able to learn to cope with my now forever changed life. But since my hysterectomy with bladder sling I have been having a burning and sticking pain around my anal area. I went to many doctors. I went back to the physician that did the sling surgery and he discovered a rectocele and said that I might have scar tissue and adhesions and asked me what did I DO? I cannot believe that he thought I DID something to cause this!!! So then I went in for surgery to have that repaired with stil no relief. I also asked him if he thought it could be the sling and of course he said “no” that the sling is not even close to the rectal area. I then asked him about all of the law suits on these slings and he said “oh that is just attorneys trying to make money” so I just trusted him yet again. I went to a colorectal doctor. She was so rude I just do not know if she thought I was seeking surgery or what?? She slapped me on a cream with some type of menthol in it for hemorrhoids with no relief from the pain and due to the menthol it made my skin just crack which caused even more pain. I was a very active person. I ran two miles a day but had to stop due to the pain because it made it worse. I thought that it was a skin problem so I went to a dermatologist and was again slapped on a cream with no relief. Then I went to a gastroenterologist and she did a colonoscopy which came back completely normal. She also put me on a cream with no relief. I work for a gynecologist but she stopped doing surgery years ago and she just could not figure it out. I then went to another colorectal surgeon and he kept me on a cream for months and still no relief then finally he suggested hemorrhoidectomy!!! Ouch!!! So of course wanting to just feel better I had the surgery but still no relief!!! I went back to him several times after my surgery but then he said that I am having phantom pains! Phantom pains??? i could not believe it!!! I then knew he thought I was crazy or he just could not help me and did not want to admit that he did not know my problem. I then went to another dermatologist and that was another joke! Yep, I was slapped on another cream with no relief. I was so depressed I would not leave my bedroom. It hurt to sit, it hurt to wear pants I was so limited to what I could do I constantly have to wear dresses. I dreaded work each day because I knew that by the end of the day I was going to be in the bed with the burning and sticking pain. I then spoke to the doctor that I work for and she recommended me to another dermatologist whom she said was very smart so I went to her. Finally, someone that listened to me!!! She immediately knew that I had some type of nerve damage. She put me on Neurontin which finally helped a little, at least I was able to get out of bed. The Neurontin helped for sometime but now is not helping much anymore. I have been suffering so much with this sling hell!! I knew that I could not keep being treated by the dermatologist for this condition for long so I went to a neurologist and he did not even know what could be wrong with me but he did mention something about the pudendal nerve but he just was not sure about the sling and the pudendal nerve connection. I left there in tears and decided that I was going to go home and research the pudendal nerve. I found an article written by Dr. Hibner that was very informative and it explained how the sling can cause pudendal nerve damage. I was so happy to find such an article so I printed it up and decided that I would bring it with me to every doctor I see. Just recently I was having some vaginal pain and bladder infections back to back which I really never had since my 20s. I then learned that I had mesh erosion into my vagina because I could feel the mesh my self. I went to a urogynecologist here in my state with the article in hand but he did not want anything to do with it. He set me up for surgery to remove MOST of the sling. He told me that he did not know much about the pudendal nerve and referred me to another urogynecologist that he said may know more about it. He also sent me to another colorectal doctor for a possible fissure. I went to the colorectal doctor and she was wonderful she actually listened to me! Well, I had the…what I call partial mesh removal and was also diagnosed with interstitial cystitis because when the doctor filled my bladder up it had little ulcers that were bleeding. Well, needless to say I am stil in the same pain. So I have an appointment with the other urogynecologist next Thursday but unfortunately she only does the nerve block injections for pudendal neuralgia. I am very depressed and now back on depression meds along with all of the other medications that I have to take for my other health issues as explained above. The other night I was crying myself to sleep and praying that I can be directed into the correct place and feeling so much anxiety because it would be my first day back at work after surgery and still with no relief. I now have muscle twitches, pain and weakness in my legs. We had a patient come in who is a doctor in anatomy and out of the blue she started talking about a cadaver that she was working on and how they found a long piece mesh sling wrapped around one of the pudendal nerve branches! I was so amazed and happy at the same time…I am not crazy it really happens. She said that the mesh slings are anchored very closely to the pudendal nerve branches. I am currently trying to find a doctor to remove my sling completely and may go to Arizona to Dr. Hibner but of course financially I cannot afford it at this time so I guess I will go to the urogynecologist to do nerve blocks until i can get enough money to have the proper surgery. Just seeing your blog spot totally gives me validation! We need more doctors trained in dealing with the complications of these mesh slings instead of more doctors training to put them in. Thank you so very much!

I sent you a private email.

33. Taffy Rossi

Could you tell me the systoms/complications from having this mesh thing? I had the bladder sling put in approx. 3 yrs. ago. I have a lot of lower stomach pain and a lot of pain in my left leg. The leg pain is fairly new and very painful. It sometimes goes clear up my leg. It keeps me awake at nite and keeps me from doing daily activities. Sometimes motrion helps and compression socks help at nite, but not always. I thought I read somewhere that leg pain is a complication from this. I’m wondering if I should go have bladder thing cheeked out. It was a waste of time to go thru the surgery. It did not help, I have same problem I had before I had sugary.

Taffy you have just described some of the symptoms, which are just some of many. Leg pain is a MAJOR sign of mesh complications. Go to UCLA and let them help you.

34. Kimberly

Hi Ladies
    Could you email me how to have Dr. RAZ tell my urogynecologist how to do a translabial ultrasound? I am 10 months out of partial hysterectomy with bladder sling surgery. I don’t have daily pain but I have pain during sex. Original surgeon and second opinion at Yale urogynecology group are recommending removal but I don’t know what to do?

I will send you his email but I doubt if you can get it done anywhere except UCLA. This is because doctors do not want to believe the mesh causes our issues.

35. christine

I had the Boston scientific bladder sling put in on January 11 2013. Immediately after waking I was hoping side to side in my bed with leg pain. I was told I would have some leg pain and never having a surgery before I did not know what to expect. I returned to the hospital four days later because the pain just wouldn’t let up. Very long story short I have seen way to many drs, neurologists,Urologists pain clinics acupuncturists…. Weekly visits to these drs. Additional surgery with hope Of relief and no luck. I absolutely love my urologist but she has done all she can for me from weekly injections to calling. Drs that will except
    My insurance….. No such luck thus far…. I am only writing to warn women of this life changing event…. And to not be as nieve as I was and just take a des word that it will not harm you. The Dr that did my surgery actually told me immediately it needed to come out and he didn’t know how to do it. And that he wasn’t going to experiment on me….. Now think about that statement…. You just did experiment on me! I Have to say my life or enjoyment
    Of life since this surgery has been spent for the most part lying in Ned or sitting on the couch popping pills so I don’t chew rocks just to get through the day missing out on my children’s adventures and its just wrong. Good luck to all you ladies as I sit and read all you notes it makes my heart heavy and my prayers large…. God knows we need it.

Christine I will contact you.

36. Mary

Hi Linda,
    I have been suspicious that I had a mesh problem for about a year now. Last December I started looking for the source of the pain in my back. I had recently had a hysterectomy and a year before that a bladder sling and two hernia patches. So I went back to my OB/GYN to see if the problem might be related to the surgeries I had had. She ordered for an intravaginal ultrasound to be done and that’s when I suspected that there might be a problem. It was very painful. I’m not married and have not been sexually active for a while so this was the first indication that I had this kind of problem. As you know, this would have a significant impact if I wanted to marry.

The immediate problem ended up being a kidney stone which I had taken out last January. In my follow-up session with the urologist to remove the kidney stone I asked him about the possibility that I might have a mesh problem. He did an exam and concluded that, yes, that might be a problem for me.

We talked about options and I mentioned to him that I had seen online where there was really only one doctor that was a master at removing this mesh. He had already told me that he did not feel comfortable removing the mesh and that we would have to find a specialist. He asked me to find the name of the specialist that I had heard about and said that he would even be willing to go out to Los Angeles for training in order to learn how to do this mesh removal. He is really a great guy.

I wonder if you might be able to provide the contact information for Dr. Raz in order for me to get that information to my doctor.

Thanks so much for all your encouragement and your sage advice

37. myron dunn

I am a 58 yr old male that has had Marlex mesh installed after hernia surgery and now have extreme pain in the groin and leg. I struggle to get through the day and pain management and pills have been the only solution provided. Can you help me contact Dr. Raz by email and get this mesh out soon as possible? I need some hope and a solution .

Thanks,
    Myron

Myron I am going to put you in touch with someone that knows more about hernia mesh.

38. Lisa

I was 46, went into the hospital back in 2007 to have a bladder sling put in and the Dr messed up so I ended up with not only one MESH IMPLANT but (3) yes (3), I had problems so I went back right away to my OBGYN, and for awhile he just kept telling me to be patient, hell I was patient, I was also very very ill. I had a 2nd surgery, and they removed one (1) of the Mesh Implants and put in one more, so that still left me with (3) mesh implants. After going to many, many Doctors, and being told it was all in my head, and the PSYCHOTROPIC drugs they put me on, I finally got so ill, that I had to be hospitalized.

I am sick most of the time, and from all of the Medications and antibiotics, my teeth are getting poor, and my parents paid good money for braces for me and I always took damn good care of my teeth, for that reason. My hair is falling out, I have constant infections, I have a severe BOWEL RECTOCELE THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED, I bleed all the time, never know when that will start and stop, both rectally and vaginally. MY BODY FACE, ETC IS ALWAYS BROKE OUT WITH SOMETHING, I AM pulling pieces of the MESH out of my Body. I AM SO SICK, and I AM SCREAMING FOR HELP, I had a good Dr, in SOUTHERN CALIF, and he would have done the SURGERIES I so desperately NEED, but I ONLY HAD COUNTY MEDICAL, so once again, I was back to square one, back to Dr.’s that don’t know the MESH, and don’t know how to do the RECTIFICATION SURGERIES…PLEASE SOMEONE HEAR ME, I AM NOW 55, i am NOT living, i am ONLY existing…PLEASE, I NEED HELP, i spend more time in BED now, I ALWAYS FEEL like I HAVE a SEVERE FLU. WHERE they attached the MESH it feels like I HAVE (2) hot pokers jamming into my HIP MUSCLES. PLEASE I WANT TO LIVE, i have (2) young grand-daughters that I want to see grow up, and each day is a struggle, and I have LOST virtually everything, fiance of 13 years, no sex for me….because of the MESH, i lost my car, home, horses, everything, I AM hiding from the world in a Cabin now, seriously, I don’t want anyone to see me like this, and yes, I have GOD, AND MY FAITH, but I DO FEEL LIKE MY BODY IS GIVING OUT, as I have constant internal infections, I DON’T WANT TO DIE LIKE THIS…..please help me….PLEASE…..

Lisa I am so sorry to hear all that has happened to you and what your life has become, but sadly you are one of thousands of women left like this with the feeling of no hope. But everything you have said here has been recorded by many, many women and yet they still do this to others on a daily basis. But you are sharing here is also a warning to others who are about to have a hysterectomy. We are not pretending to collect money as some doctors are actually telling women when they go for consult. We are not crazy. We live life in such a mess without any help. Have you tried getting help through Obamacare? I don’t know your situation but it sounds as if you are financially devastated. I hope you have support from someone in your life. I know even that is a stretch after so long because others tend to leave and gone on their merry way because they don’t know what to do to help. I want every woman to know that I do care. Their words are being read and they are heard by someone who knows the truth.

2. Sharon

I have been there too. Go to UCLA, it’s worth the wait.

39. Chris

Do you know if Dr. Raz’s Assistant Dr. Ja-Hong Kim is capable of removing mesh
    as well as Dr. Raz. He cancelled my appointment and I have to settle for Dr. Kim. I had booked a flight and hotel and made all the arrangements and the doctor was well aware of this. I am traveling from Ohio to UCLA. It is costly and if I do not settle with Dr. Kim it will cost much more. I am furious with his office. They informed me in the beginning there would be no last minute changes. I have a month. Talk about last minute and I am struggling to borrow the money from relatives.

Yes she is.Dr. Raz does not cancel appointments the office staff does. I am so sorry this has happened.

2. Sharon

She is wonderful and has been working with Dr Raz for a while. I would go to her too.

40. Sharon Newbry

I’ve followed your blog and you have been nice enough to send me e-mails. I went to UCLA because of you and my gynecologist brother-in-law. Dr Kim is caring and wonderful. I waited for Dr Raz though, because after 3 surgeries of partial mesh removal, I wanted the most experienced. What I got there was HOPE, as my RN sister phrased it. I had none before, as a urogynecologist at UCDavis told me get used to Depends, you will never be normal and I CANNOT remove all the mesh! Others told me I was fine, and that’s the way it is. My body changed, and I was unable to have sex and had daily abdominal pain. No one understood. I had my last surgery 4 1/2 weeks ago, and hope it’s the last. Hope is a great thing, because I was at the end of my rope and didn’t want to live this way. UCLA is the only place to be. Still, the FDA just issued a warning in April, that mesh complications are not rare, and changed their warning from moderate to high risk, and should only be done by skilled surgeons. I don’t believe there is a standard. It has NOT been recalled. I have issues with my son and daughter in law, who works for and is friends with the surgeon who placed my mesh and acts like I’m looking for trouble and making it up. Even though the FDA issued warnings to doctors 15 months before my mesh placement, it was “a risk”- how much? I didn’t know, it was an easy surgery-1 week off work. What followed changed me and my husband’s life. It’s been 5 1/2 years. If you want hope, go to UCLA. You will wait to get the surgeries and it will seem like a lifetime. I have a niece 15 miles away who rents out her small apartment for cheap, and it’s nice. E-mail me and I will give you her number. I am still recovering since I met Dr Raz a year ago, but I have hope, and that’s a good thing.

1. Sharon

Oh, I forgot to add, mesh placement was the standard of care at the time. It was easier than the old way of sutures or using your own tissue

Sharon I am going to send you a note and thank you for your wonderful words. I am sorry your family is not supportive in believing you but perhaps one day they will realize how bad this is. XX

41. Estrella

hi, thank you for the usefull information you give us. What about if we don’t have the chance to travel to the US for solving our problem? i am writing you from Greece. Any idea for European doctors? any information will help.

Estrella I do not have that information but is you find one that can remove it all, let me know and I will add it to the list of doctors at the top of this blog. I do not know of any doctor even in Great Britain that can remove it all.

42. Leslie

lavalinda, Thank you for all you are doing for all of us suffering with this MESH MONSTER, I just found you today tru a dear friend who actually found you for me. ( Shes Ethel to my Lucy ) I echo all the above testimonials & I never dreamed the air would clear & that there really is hope. Im canceling my appt. in Feb with a Dr in Denver who said he’ll only remove the body of the Avalta mesh which placed posterially. There are 2 more that I was not aware of. We have all been violated by this medical nightmare. Please send me Dr. .. Thank you soooo much.Raz’s info

Leslie at the top of this blog is a link for doctors and under pelvic, Dr. Raz info is there. I am so glad you are going to him as he can remove it all.

43. Lori

THANK YOU!!!! Had surgery for prolapse in April 2009. The dr left the ob/gyn office the next day. Ive seen two other drs..they have no clue. Made a call to Dr Raz’s ofc today…5/18/15… Earliest appt is October 2015. Your blog is a Godsend

Lori I am going out there in October to help a friend through consult with him. I will be there Oct 2oth through 23rd.

44. Moryah Olson

Mo Olson,
    Hi I had a hysterectomy and I lifted to soon and got a hernia which is called a surgical hernia. I had a mesh put on and it’s in the lower left groin abdominal area and it was done 2007 or 08. Since then I’ve been in pain so bad I have tried therapy, nerve blocks ,nerve cryos, acupuncture, bio feedback and nothing has helped I am taking pills that helps temporary can you help so I can get a hold of Dr. Raz please the pain is so bad at times I want to just die and I pray over and over to god to make the pain stop.

1. Linda (Post author)

Moryah, Dr. Raz has partially retired and I have no idea if he is taking new patients, or just seeing his old patients. However you can get in to see Dr. Kim and she is an excellent surgery, second in line to him. First watch her video about mesh implants. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5sNaHMxiI
      Then read this blog. https://www.meshangels.com/dr-kim-ucla/

45. Barbara J Hayes

Do you know anything about Dr Jennifer Ander at Cedara LA? My insurance is sent me to her to see about mesh removal and I can’t find any information about her doing this or anyone that’s had her for a doctor please help I have an appointment next week

1. Linda (Post author)

Barbara I have never heard of her, nor of anyone going to see her. Sorry.