What Can We Do About Our Mesh

Over the past few weeks I have been shocked at the rising number of women who have contacted me through this blog.  Women who have been suffering for many years since mesh was placed inside their bodies.  They have struggled on through so much pain, trying to find out what was wrong, only to be told nothing.  They were given tests, pain killers, antidepressants and shoved out the door with labels placed on them as whining complainers who have absolutely nothing wrong with them.  Why does this keep on happening?  Why do our doctors not listen to us and dismiss us so easily.  Sadly it is because the mesh manufacturers voices are louder than ours.

The old way of doing a bladder lift hasn’t been taught in many years due to the simple training of opening a packet, pulling out a device and slap it in us.  Yes, it is that simple for doctors and the mesh manufacturers that they are in bed with.  Do you really believe that when you walk into your doctors office that you are dealing with just him or her?  Wake up!  We can no longer believe this fairytale.  When you walk into his or her office you are confronted with an invisible line of organizations standing in line behind our doctor who are using them as puppets.  Was I or am I not angry with my own doctor?  Of course I am.  However, I have sat down and gone through everything that happened to me and realized that she was doing what she had been taught.  She was not using her own voice, she was using the voices of all the people who paid her way through medical school and on up the ladder to medical success.  So when she dismissed me as someone who had nothing wrong with me or must have had these problems before surgery, she was protected her lifestyle and those of her medical practice group.  I became an incidental to everything she had earned from many years of practicing medicine.  If she speaks up about mesh products, her job will be no more.

So what can we do?  Well, if you worked your way through miles of lawyers links on Google and suddenly found me, then I can tell you that I pledge to do everything I can to help you find a doctor who can safely remove your mesh and give you back your life.  I can’t promise you the world, but I will be here for you through your struggle along with a vey small but dedicated group of women who are just like you and me.  We have joined together to help those suffering the way we are or have been.

I still have the mesh inside my body.  I don’t have enough money to buy the right kind of insurance and still leave me enough to pay my way in life.  There are days when I want to rip it out of myself and scream at the world.  Then there are days when I pick myself up and make my life worthwhile.  These mesh manufacturers cannot be allowed to take our lives away from us.

We can help you find a competent doctor.  If you have trailed your way through a minefield of lawyers links and still don’t know what to do, we can guide you.  We are NOT paid by anyone to do this.  We are YOU!  We are sick of what happened to us and to so many women in the world who have been left to suffer.  Contact me linda@teacupmilliner.com  and I will do what I can to get you through to a better, more productive life.  You are not alone!

1. Dianne

Dear Lavalinda,
    I had my sling put tin October 31, 2008. I had no trouble with the it until June 2010, I thought I was gonna go out of my mind w/ UTI infections, vaginal infections, pain below the pelvic, pain in my left leg (would come and go). I couldn’t sit for along period of time. My primary doctor finally sent me to a urologist to do a urodynamic test, then a MRI and ultrasound test of full abdomen. Urologist said he felt something on left side of vagina sent me to my gyno. I had annual check up – and Gyno said he felt something also. I had mesh removed – The sling was Boston Scientific Halo – still waiting on medical records from surgery done in 2008. I have gone to the hospital and asked for medical records inwhich the hospital gave me some, but others had to be ordered. I am 8 days out of surgery ( November 11, 2011 ) and it was like turning a light switch off and on afterwards. I am in Florida and need help to find a Lawyer to join the group. Towhere we can show where we stand as humans not guinney pigs for these pharmacutical companies. I am thankful I found your website and had enough since to figure out I had the samething wrong with me as my other sisters.

2. Suzanne

Hello Ladies,

Yes I too am a victim of problems from having a bladder sling and problems since. On August 15th,2011 I had a hysterectomy and bladder tact and have had pain ever since. Pelvic bone and left side pain! I even have some plastic sticking thru the top of left side of my pelvic bone area. Intercourse is terribly uncomfortable to say the least on the left side of my vaginal wall. I have had 7 post-op appointments an ultrasound and the conclusion is scar tissue on the outside of the vaginal wall and thinning of tissues supporting the sling. I live with a tugging/pulling pain after standing for long periods of time and forget exercise. I have two children 8 and 10 and need to be able to keep up with them and my doctor is suggesting surgery to fix the problems this December. I know, love and trust him and know that he will do everything in his power to fix these complications but I am scared that they will not be resolved unless this mesh is out of me, then what? I have an appointment today to see what to expect and what methods will fix the problems. Wish me luck!

Suzanne

3. GWEN

HEY ,EVERYONE I WOULD LIKE TO SAY YOU HAVE OPENED MY EYES TO THIS I HAD THE SLING DONE ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO AND I HAVE BEEN SICK FOR 4 OF THESE YEARS .I WANT TO SAY THANKS FOR THE INFO…

4. Joyce tyler

I think this is the cause of my illness. I had bladder surgery in 2008, and at first, it was fantastic; however for the past few years, I have had several bladder infections. Also, when my bladder is full it is very painful to walk. I did not know about the mesh complications until I started looking up causes of bladder infections. Lately, I have had a constant sense of pain and urgency to urinate. I am going to see the doctor who performed the surgery, and find out what is going on. I just hope this does not turn out to be a horrible complication. Right now, I am worried about the outcome.
    I am glad that I came upon this website.

I am sad to say it is more than likely a complication if you never had problems before sling surgery. I will write to you privately to provide you with a list of doctors who can help you.

1. kay newsom

I am having alo of issues with the bladder sling.Wonder if you know any docters in north carolina,that could perform the surgery.thank you kay

2. angie

i live in florida in brevard county and would like to know of any doc tors in this area who can remove the tvm which was installed in 2003 and 2008 i have seen the doctor who installed the mesh and he wants to do the robot surgery to loosen the mesh but he is no longer on my ins. so i need to find someone else here or near by.if you know of any please let me know by email i am in a lot of pain and walking has almost become less and less as the days go by. at my wits end here as i am 75 and would like to live out the rest of my life somewhat pain free to enjoy it. any help would be so great and thank you for all you do for us/ god bless

Angie a woman is out at UCLA right now having removal by Dr. Raz last Monday. She is 82 and it was implanted when she was 75. They should never do this to any woman let alone as we age. I told her that if it was me at her age I would ask my family to help her get there and they did. Her son is out there with her. Because of your age, I would trust no one else. His info is at the top of this blog under doctors.

5. Penny

I am in need of a com-pendent Doctor who can remove my mesh sling and has a proven record. The mesh sling that was inserted in me, 11/06 is eroding and perforating into my bladder . I now fell mentally strong to go through with the surgery because I know this is going to get worst not better. My Doctor’s at Kaiser Permanent have not taken this seriousness enough and have told me straight up they have never taken one out and frankly do not want the responsibility. The doctor that originally performed the surgery is willing to take it out, however I do not trust him. The sling that was inserted in me was never approved by the FDA. I am also living a nightmare but need to face the facs this needs to come out. Please help me.

I will send you a private email to help you find the right doctor for you. You have to have someone who knows what they are doing and will support you both mentally and physically. Doctors who do not believe what we have gone through and do not help us find a competant doctor for removal, are best left alone. This is a very tough time for you and you need the best of help and I will do my utmost to help you.

6. Penny

Thank you, Have you hear from anyone that has gone to UCLA for a consultation? I live in Southern California

I sent you several private emails. Did you get them?

8. Kaye

I have the mesh sling. The doctor who inserted it told me last year, that there was a hole where the mesh can thur. Now he said there was not hole. I have complained since 2008. This surgery did not help my bladder at all. I have pain all the time. I don’t know a doctor to remove it. Please help.

I will send you a private note to help you find someone.

9. Deborah

Hello,

I am so glad that I found your web-site. I had the bladder sling surgery in 01/07. It has been nothing but problems since. I have seen a doctro at Duke. She thinks my problem is muscle spasms caused by the surgery. She wants me to have physical therapy & take muscle relaxers. That is all well & good, but she refuses to remove the mesh. I am having severe abdominal pain every day. My regular gynocologist referred me to her to haveit removed. I am very frustrated, & angry. I’m tired of being in pain & not feeling well. I made an appoiment myself with another doctor that is scheduled for tomorrow morning. Wish me luck. I have got to get this out.

10. Jyoti

Hi There,

I am also suffering due to the mesh & now it has contracted, it has been hurting, bleeding etc…. A doctor in Hartford has removed mesh in the past as I was told by my gynac, I made appointment & her. now I am planning to go for surgery to remove mesh next month. she thinks it will make a lot of difference after removing the mesh even though it is not an easy job to remove but she is going to do it as best as she can. if u want the name & ph. no pl email me I will give it to u

11. laureen sauve

I have been suffering with on and off infections as of rite now I have some kind of one, have to wait a week to see my doctor who thinks I am just stupid and need to deal with things. I have been off work for the past 3 months for depression and anxiety and she can’t understand why I am in such bad shape as i have nothing to worry about , life is good and I need to just step up my excersise. I have terrible pain during sex and as i said, I am suffering with something rite now. Pain on the right side always, like a tugging. My bladder lift was back in 2007 and have been suffering since then with no energy and terrible fatigue and on and off infections. what do i do…and is it from the sling and why hasn’t the hospital or Specialist contacted me with the recall….???? thanks for letting me know I am really not losing my mind …

You are NOT stupid and you need help RIGHT NOW. I am going to send you details privately.

12. Deborah Childs

Hi my name is Deborah, I am a 52yr old woman who had mesh /bladder tact after I had a hystorectomy in 2008. What I am finding out about mesh is very sickining. I am hurting every day, I don’t know what all it has done or will do to me. I would have never had this done if I had known. No one told me at the time. I am getting reocurring uti’s and pain when I urinate. And have had lots of “in the bed” pain in that area. I had to go to a obgyn of not my choice as I am on medicaid. The gyn Dr told me as soon as he found out what I was there for cause I was concerned abour the pain, anywa
    he said out of the blue ” I am not going to have anything to do with you if you are here to get money in some kind of law suit”. I was shocked as I did not even know this dr. I told him I was in pain and needed to be checked. He did a vaginal ultra sound and examined me and said the mesh and or sling had not been put in right and it had moved almost protruding the left sibe of my vagina. He stated I can fix this easily( which I found out later to be a lie). I left and did not go back as wanting a second opinion. Besides, the Dr. had a dirty office. I had to go to the er recently and get some antibiotics to stop a urinary tract infection as it has been very painful to pee. The er Dr said she would not even examine me when I told her I thought it was the mesh. I went to another medicaid Dr to see if he could help and he did not know very much at all. He mostly deliverd babies. So I am at my wits end. Seems like I am at a dead end with Medicaid for finding a speacialist. I was told by my primary care Dr to try and right the govenor to get help. Can you please direct me as what I might do about any of this? I have been married for 31 yrs and have never faced anything like this before. Thank you and God bless you for all your help. Hurting in Fla., Deborah

I will send you a private email to see if you can get the help you need.

13. DJ

Dear lavalinda,
    May I send this, with the follow up posts, to Dr Shuren at the FDA? I can also get it to the OB-GYN Panel makes recommendations to the FDA about transvaginal mesh products. These posts are from “real” hurting women and I bet their problems have not been reported to the FDA’s MAUDE data base for complications. Obviously, the doctors are in denial that the mesh is the cause of the pain and other symptoms. Even when they say it’s from the mesh, they clearly do not understand or appreciate the severity of the complications or the amount of suffering it can cause or they have little to no experience in removing mesh. At the Sept 2011 FDA meeting about TVM, the OB-GYN panel decided that the complications from retropubic transvaginal mesh (TVM) and transobturator tape (TOT) for stress urinary incontinence (SUI) mesh products are “manageable” so they are not requiring postmarketing trials to be done for them, like with the POP mesh products or the newer “mini-slings”.
    The FDA has a LOT of constant pressure from industry and not enough reports from harmed patients. May I forward this on?

Please, by all means do this. I try to get every woman report her complications to the FDA but many, many are hurting so badly that they can think of nothing else but the pain. This blog brings so many women to me who are begging for help and I do what I can to send them to a doctor who is experienced in mesh removal. With so few out there and no resources if you do not have insurance, women continue to suffer. Not only are they suffering, but they are labeled wrongly as needy and it is all in their heads. With mesh in your body you need attention NOW. Even with insurance, the 20% they have to pay plus travel expenses is stopping women for having removal. These women wind up on disability after a long hard fight. They cannot work. Cannot take care of their children. They are depressed and lonely. Please do all you can to help me. I appreciate every effort.

14. DJ

So sad- I have been hearing the same stories over and over again for the past several years. Each and every “new story” pains my heart. And so many are told that it’s anything and everything BUT the mesh! And then they are treated so poorly by the field of healthcare and the medical professionals who are supposed to help them, which compounds the pain.
    The studies that the FDA is now requiring will take three YEARS! Not nearly fast enough for those who are suffering every single moment of every single day. And how are the studies going to repair the broken people, their families, and lives? What do they do now and where do they find help?

I will definitely pass this on. They need to be aware.

15. Candi Smith

I am having many problems after having a hysterectomy/bladder sling at the same time in March 2011. In Sept 2011, I started having signs of an infection, and my urologist wouldn’t do anything because my urine culture wasn’t coming back as showing infection. In December 2011, I ran a very high fever, was vomiting, was in major pain in my back and pelvis, and they rushed me in to a kidney scan. They found a “shadow” on my kidney which was infection. The urologist FINALLY gave me an antibiotic then, and put me on suppressive antibiotics. He took me off the suppressives in June 2012, and the cycle is now starting over. Only this time, he refuses to accept any responsibility. He won’t give me an antibiotic, and told me that since my urine does not show an infection, he can’t treat me for one. He told me he WILL NOT remove my bladder sling because it would cause worse problems than what I’m experiencing with it. He said I have no proof that it’s the sling. He said it’s my age, it’s my weight, it’s the hysterectomy–everything but the sling. I told him that I was old and fat before, and never had a kidney infection once in my life. He said I was overdue for one then. He told me if my symptoms worsen, to go to the ER. I said, “I don’t have an extra $150 laying around for that.” He walked out of the consultation. I am at my wit’s end! I need to find a doctor who will remove this sling because I know it’s the source of my problems. I’m in the Kansas City area. Thank you.

I am so sorry this keeps happening to women and I can assure you you do need to get that sling out soon by someone who knows how to remove it. He obviously doe not so DON”T let him do any surgery. I just wrote a blog on infections and kidney stones due to mesh. He treated you terribly and should be ashamed of who he is as a doctor. I am going to send you a private email and for all women who experience this, this is NOT right. YOU be the one to walk out! I just wrote a blog about infection and kidney stones yesterday Septemeber 10th 2012. IT IS THE SLING. He will never admit it and you have to stop waiting for it. Just take care of you!

16. Iveta

I had the same surgery in 2010 and I’m since then in pain and having non stop infections. I have seen many doctors and I even told them it must be the mesh and that it needs to be taken away, they answer – no that can not be done.
    I live in everyday pain, had even a port to put on for antibiotics,no help. About six months later finally one doctor was willing to do partial mesh removal. When I asked how much she was able to take away, she almost creamed to me that what do I think, that she would had to cut my leg off and then sew it back. That scared me! After that i came to live in Europe for a while and my pain went from worst to worst, Doctors here they rather laugh,at me, what America did to me. Very sad. I need to know a doctor in Amerika, who will remove it all. Please help.

Iveta that is so terrible. The best and only doctors I can recommend right now are in California. Women are flying from everywhere to them including me from Texas and my mesh was removed completely last October 11th 2012. Here is a direct link for that information but if you keep reading my blog you will get to everything about going there, all about my surgery and how to help yourself. http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2012/08/so-much-hope-for-mesh-removal-surgery

17. Jessie

I live in the Seattle area. I had a hysterectomy 8/2010. Mesh surgery 6/24/2011. I am having severe complications since my repair surgery 11/1/2011. The sling eroded though my vaginal wall. My urogyno keeps blaming my right hip. ITS NOT MY HIP! As of today, my vagina is swollen, painful and I feel fluish like I have an infections. I poop during sex AGAIN. I have to manually help my rectum to go to the bathroom AGAIN. Sex feels like razor blades. Do you know of a Dr in my area who get this thing out of me? Desperation is where I am at. Thank you.

Jessie I cannot tell you of any doctor who can remove it all including the arms/anchors except for ones I know can. You should also be aware that your symptoms are those of mesh eroding through the colon and most cannot remove it from there. Some women have told me that doctors actually remove part of their colon or all. Please go where they know what they are doing. Read this blog. http://teapapers.com/bladdersling/2013/02/mesh-is-a-journey The top two links will give you the doctors I and other women have gone to with good success.

18. Rebecca

I had Vaginal mesh removal, and the doctor was unable to remove it, but cut it apart to prevent further pressure on the bladder. Following this, I have been in horrible pain and working has become a nightmare most days. I have called her, visited her office for another appointment regarding the pain, and told her that if I don’t get some relief soon, I was going to lose my marbles. Basically, all she told me was that that I would experience some “discomfort” following surgery because the body needed to heal. True, I agree with this. However, it has been over six months and the pain has worsened. I cry myself to sleep every night because I can’t find a comfortable position and I use a heating pad just to ease the pain some. My quality of life is terrible, my depression is worsening, and I hate to leave the house. My doctor is very dismissive to me regarding my chronic pain and tells me I am exaggerating how severe it really is. I’m so frustrated I could scream. I am a 53 year old woman and do not need someone telling me how I should be feeling. I’m quite capable of expressing myself without the punitive remarks.

Rebecca I wish your story was one I have never heard before but sadly it isn’t. All I can tell you is that when it is cut it becomes a missile and lands on and in places it was never supposed to go. Your doctor is a pure bitch I hate to say just like so many women as well as male doctors. Please make that first appointment and go to UCLA and get it all removed. You do not have to live like this.